Taking out the old old counter top and cabinets by the sink
Once I had the cabinets assembled and installed on the side of the kitchen opposite the sink, I was ready to tackle the sink side. This meant we would be without a sink for awhile, which meant we couldn’t cook very much. Per Clare’s suggestion, I tried to cook up a bunch of leftovers beforehand, but since the project took almost twice as long as I had planned, we ended up eating out quite a bit anyways.
Lots of mice poop under the old cabinets
The first step was to remove the old kitchen cabinets. I started by disconnecting all the plumbing and shutting off the water to the sink. Then I removed the sink. This involved cutting the silicone with a utility knife, and gradually prying the sink out with a pry bar and a chisel. Then I moved out the dishwasher. Then I began removing the counter top. The counter top was attached with screws from underneath, so I took out all those screws with my handy cordless drill. Once all the screws were out, I used the reciprocating saw to cut the counter top into several pieces. I had to yank the counter top off a bit, since it was also stuck to the wall a bit with some caulk. Continue reading “New kitchen cabinets, part two”
The crib arrived yesterday. As usual, upon Ellen’s suggestion, we ordered one off of the internet. We got a Dream On Me crib from Baby Cribs Plus. It is solid hardwood, was quite easy to put together, and seems very sturdy. And it was on sale, and they offered free shipping. The matching changing table was back-ordered, so it should be arriving in a week or so. Let’s hope the little one likes it!
This is one project we decided not to tackle ourselves. The old garage door had a broken spring, so we haven’t been able to open it since we moved in to the new house. Home Depot was a having a special on garage doors, so we decided to take advantage of it. The new door has the following features:
It closes! (and it seals well)
It is insulated (steel, then insulation, then more steel)
It is powder coated, so we shouldn’t have to repaint it for a long time
Old garage door (for reference)
There are a few quirks as well. It turns out that our garage cement is not quite level. The middle is about 3/4″ higher than the sides. So the installer recommended putting an extra thick rubber seal on the bottom to get a nice tight seal. That seems to be working pretty well. The other oddity is that there used to be an electric garage door opener, but it is broken. But on top of that, it is plugged into an outlet which is controlled by a switch. And the lights in the garage are plugged into the same outlet, meaning that in order to use the electric opener, one would have to keep the lights on all the time, which is obviously stupid. So we decided to get a manual lock on the door for the time being, until we can afford to do some major electrical work in the garage, and put in an electric opener the right way.
Finally, the door is a nice hunter green. We’re planning on getting new siding as well in the next year or two, at which point we plan to get hunter green soffits and shutters as well, so it should look very nice.
One of the major projects on our new house was to put in new kitchen cabinets. We knew before buying the house that many of the lower kitchen cabinets (base cabinets) were damaged. Initially we thought we would try to buy some replacement parts, but as we realized that every base cabinet was damaged in some way, we simply decided to replace them. Ellen did some internet research and discovered that the maker of our cabinets, Mills Pride, was no longer in business. She found some cabinets from Sunco which she thought would match very well. We ended up buying them from Good Value Center. We were quite happy with the service in general. It only took a couple weeks to get them, and they were packed quite well.
This cabinet was completely missing the drawer
The cabinets arrived on Friday the 9th of January. On the 11th, Clare and I spent several hours at Lowe’s putting together a delivery order for all the tile materials we would need like plywood and cementboard. We also got new energy-efficient windows, which will we install once it gets a bit warmer. The materials were delivered on the 12th, and I got to work.
I decided to work on assembling the cabinets while I was waiting for the delivery from Lowe’s. It took me about 2 hours to assemble the first one, but after that it got much easier. The Sunco cabinets have 1/2″ plywood sides and backs, and 3/4″ solid oak faces. They are put together with a cam locking system. I was quite impressed how accurate most of the cuts were. The sides fit into the front and back with a groove, and then get locked into a place with a cam system, which only requires turning one screw about one rotation. The drawers had to be assembled with regular screws, but the holes were all pre-drilled, and were quite accurate. For the first cabinet I screwed the screws in by hand, but for the other ones I used my beloved Black and Decker 18 volt cordless drill, which sped things up quite a bit. I was intrigued by the subtle variations between cabinets. While they were mostly the same, some of the details were slightly different, like the color of the screws, or the type of cushion on the drawers and doors. Some had a soft plastic cushion (the little piece that keeps the drawers and doors from banging shut), while others had more of a squishy foam-like cushion. There is also a fair amount of color variation. Some of the cabinets match the wall cabinets very well, while others don’t match as well. Read the rest