This recipe is based off a recipe from the Vegetarian Cooking, but I have modified it signficantly. It definitely ranks in my top five recipes. Goes great with your favorite pasta, or also polenta.
- 1 1/2 cup carrots (shredded)
- 1 cup celery (thinly sliced)
- 2 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 cup yellow onions (diced)
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 can petite diced tomatoes
- 4 cup vegetable broth
- 4 cup water
- 2 cup red lentils
- Preparation: 20 min
- Cooking: 40 min
- Ready in: 1 h
- In medium saucepan heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute onions and celery 4-6 minutes. Add garlic and carrots; continue sauteing for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, and wine ; cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add lentils, water and spices. Cover and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until lentils are soft (app. 20 minutes).
- Add the tomato paste and lower the heat.
- Serve the bolognese with pasta or polenta. Top with a little cheese and fresh cracked pepper.