You can use any sort of lettuce you want, but I think that this recipe turned out very well with mache. It has a very nutty flavor to it, and is much more nutritious than the iceberg lettuce used in most taco salads. If you can’t find mache, try a red leaf lettuce, or perhaps even a spring mix.
- salsa of your choice
- 1/2 cup cheddar or jack cheese (shredded)
- tortilla chips
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes (optional)
- 1/4 cup sliced green or black olives (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 pound flavorful lettuce (such as green leaf, red leaf, mache, or romaine)
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 1 package Morningstar grillers (thawed)
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup diced onion
- Sauté the onion and peppers in the olive oil for several minutes. Then add the grillers crumbles, about 1/4 cup of water, and the taco seasoning. Cook over medium heat until most of the water has been absorbed. Let cool for several minutes.
- Meanwhile, rip the lettuce into small pieces and place in a bowl. Add tomatoes and olives if you choose. Add in the taco filling mixture, and mix well. Serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and your favorite salsa. Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro.