Rice & Beans is a staple dish for many countries around the world, especially poorer countries. Apparently they figured out long before recent scientific affirmation that the combination of grains and legumes makes for a very healthy and tasty meal. It also makes a great dish for camping – you can fairly easily make it in a dutch oven over a campfire.
- 2 cup diced onion
- 2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cup vegetable broth (or water)
- 2 can diced tomatoes
- 2 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cup white rice (not converted)
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in large sauce pan. Add onions and saute 2-3 minutes. Add peppers and garlic and continue sauteing 5-10 minutes, or until peppers and onions are soft. Add spices (except cilantro). Add rice and continue cookin g 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes, vegetable broth (or water), and beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook covered approximately twenty minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cilantro. Serves 3-4.